Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Clear for Another Six Months

Today was a long day! I went to work this morning, but ate a quick lunch at my desk and left at 12:45 to go to Duke Medical Center for my six month check up.

In May of 2004 I was diagnosed with breast cancer - had a lumpectomy and then chemo and radiation. I saw the doctor every 3 weeks at first, then every 6 weeks, then 3 months, and finally am now down to every 6 months. In addition to seeing the oncologist I usually have some kind of test too. Since I was in a clinical trial they monitor bone density and heart condition also so I have regular echo cardiograms, bone density tests, and of course the beloved mammogram. This time it was bone density - by far the easiest. I had good results from everything and even my blood pressure was lower than it has been in a long time. I started on a low dose bp med last summer, but even with that it has been just slightly elevated. Today it was actually perfect.

It takes about an hour & 15 minutes to drive to Duke from here so we didn't get home till after 7 pm. Like I said, a LONG day.

No comments: