Sunday, November 23, 2008

Finished Knitting

This past week I concentrated on finishing a couple of projects that were on the needles.



This is the short sweater for my granddaughter (really hard to get a good picture). This pattern was from Knit Simple and sized and designed for Tweens to knit and wear (which is a real ego-buster when you have problem after problem with it!) I had terrible problems with sizing. The yarn my granddaughter picked was bulkier and fuzzier so I swatched (several times) and ended up going down a size and down from size 6 needles to size 3. I still think it is too wide. After the pieces were finished I had a terrible time getting it all to match at the neckline. I ended up ripping back one sleeve and the back and reknitting them till they fit, just ignoring the directions. I think it will be cute if it doesn't swallow her, but needless to say, my next few projects will be using the suggested yarn, and my next sweater will be top down!


This is my other granddaughter's blanket. It is knit on large needles with two strands of yarn and turned out really thick and cushy and should be warm. She loves the knitted blankies she has, but I wanted to knit her one that wasn't too babyish since she will be a grown up 2 year old soon! If I have time I'm going to knit her a doll blanket with the leftover yarn.


As you can see, the blanket was a hit with Onyx while it was on the needles. Everytime I worked on it this is what I dealt with!



This weekend I haven't gotten much new knitting done, but am working on another pair of fingerless mitts, this time in black (very hard to see the pattern!). Yesterday morning a friend and I went to the local farmer's market for a holiday bazaar. I bought a new Christmas centerpiece for my dining room table and a Christmas hairbow and a couple of necklaces for the girls.


There were lots of crocheted items, but not many knitted and I wasn't too impressed with the few I saw. I was hoping to get new ideas, but not so much. One booth was all knitted scarves, very simple pattern and many done in school colors. They seemed to be doing a big business. They had all the local high school colors, plus many of the colleges in the area.

We won't be having our Thanksgiving dinner till Friday since that is when everyone can come. I have my turkey and am getting my recipes out and making my final shopping list. I have some old favorites everyone expects, but always like to try something new, too. Anyone else brine their turkey? I never have but watched a couple of Food Network shows about brining and am thinking about it!

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Candyce said...

B's sweater is lovely. How special that you made it for her. Kitty is too cute to cuddle on your yarn.