Saturday, September 11, 2010

We'll Always Remember

Like most of you I remember well this day 9 years ago.  It was a beautiful blue-sky September day, my mother's birthday and I was thinking of her and hoping she had a good day, planning to call her later in the day.  I had just gotten to work when we began to hear the news.  What had  happened?  Was it a freak accident?  Then other tragedies began to happen and we knew it was worse than we could have imagined.

My son was on a ship in the Mediterranean, my daughter-in-law and 4 year old granddaughter on the Navy base in Norfolk which quickly became thought of as one of the next targets.  They called my daughter-in-law at work to pick up B as they were closing the base day care and closing down the base.  She called my husband and he and I left work immediately to go get her.  DIL felt she had to stay to work but wanted B to go with us.  In the four hour drive we listened over and over to the news on the radio in disbelief.  This couldn't have happened here - but it did and we will always remember.

No comments: