Sunday, February 1, 2009

Random Sunday Night Thoughts

I'm watching the Super Bowl - kind of. I look up now and then and try to catch all of the commercials so I will know what everyone is talking about tomorrow. As you can see I'm not a big football fan, but I try.

An update on my Kentucky family. I've talked to one aunt, one cousin, and got an email from another and they are all okay. They have really been through an ordeal though and it isn't over yet. A few people have power, but not all. Phone service is beginning to come back on in some areas. If I understood my cousin correctly, not one person in the whole county had power in the beginning. He said they had two different storms come through, and his front yard had 6-8 inches of sleet, snow and ice. It did all three at various times. Now they start the clean-up. I'm just glad everyone is safe.

Amy & I went to see Slumdog Millionaire this afternoon. I had never heard of it till the award ceremonies, but it was nominated for so many awards I was curious, and Amy had read really good reviews. It is so different than most movies - not predictable at all, hard to watch in places, but not at all boring. The boys and young men who play the main parts are excellent. Very good movie.

After the movie we stopped at Tuesday Morning and I found this yarn - Merino Wool and Cashmere for $2.99 a skein! It looks orange in the picture, but is actually rust. I've started a cowl.


Because Amy lived with us for awhile after she sold her house, and because her adoption paperwork had to be renewed during that time, DH & I had to get or fingerprints taken for a background check. I had gone with her to the Charlotte immigration office where she got her first biometrics (that's their word for them), so I knew the drill. They had a terrible time getting good prints from her and she sweated it for awhile, but they were accepted. This summer when we started, we first had to go to the local police station where they still do the old fashioned ink blotter prints. DH's were fine, but mine were returned and I had to have them repeated. Last week we had our appointment at the regional immigration office (a new office in Durham, NC). These are taken on a computer and the technicians had trouble getting good prints from either Amy or me. They tried over and over and even had the supervisor come and take new ones. Yesterday, I got a letter that mine were not readable! Amy's made it through apparently. I now have another appointment in about 3 weeks. I'm now using Corn Husker's lotion constantly, which is supposed to plump up the prints. If fingerprint recognition becomes common, I will be up a creek - however I guess a life of crime might be possible!


No comments: