Saturday, May 3, 2008


Tomorrow we leave for Pigeon Forge, TN for a few days to meet with some good friends. In 1967 (can't believe it has been that long) we got married and left for California, where DH's ship was in port. We lived in Long Beach for a few weeks and then the ship moved down to San Diego and we left to find an apartment there. We were only going to be there a few months as the USS Kitty Hawk, Larry's ship, was preparing to go back to Vietnam. For the next few months they would be doing their training preparations. One of Dh's friends from the ship and his wife and DH & I looked for apartments with no luck at all. Either they were in terrible neighborhoods, or we couldn't afford them. We took the ferry over to Coronado Island where the ship was docked and it was so nice! (Now there is a bridge, but then you had to take a ferry). It is somewhat a resort area with very nice residential neighborhoods where many Navy officers and their families live. We found a nice garage apt. behind a navy pilot's home. It had a large high-ceiling living room with bedrooms off each end and small kitchen. We decided to take a chance and rent it together with Roy & Carol. Larry & Roy were out to sea for training most of the rest of the summer, so it was a blessing for me to have Carol there. We had a great summer. Almost everyday we walked to town or the beach, went to garage sales, visited with the neighbors. In November Larry & Roy left with the ship for 9 months, and Carol and I went back to our home towns When the guys got back, Larry left the ship to go to school and then he was lucky enough to have shore duty for the rest of his tour and we lived in San Diego for his school and then Charleston, SC for the next 2 1/2 years. Roy & Carol stayed with the ship and went to Washington state so we never were stationed together again, but have always stayed friends.

Over the years we have kept in touch and visited several times, but life got in the way and for a few years we didn't see each other very often. Last year they came down and spent a weekend with us and we had such a good visit we decided to meet this year in the mtns. and rent a cabin. That's where we are going tomorrow. I can't wait. We don't have any big plans, just take each day and see what goes. It will be great just to get away and visit with our friends! I'm not sure I'll have internet, but will take lots of pictures and post when I get back if not before.

I have late azaleas and they are just starting to bloom. It looks like they are really going to be full and pretty this year and I hope I don't miss them completely. I told my daughter to take pictures while I am gone! Maybe they will last till the weekend, but often if there is wind or rain they don't stay long. I went out today and took pictures of them half-bloomed along with the purple iris and clematis.

These light pink ones are Encore azaleas. They were new to me till last year, but they are great as they bloom again in the summer and then again in the fall.


Robin said...

That purplish clematis is GORGEOUS! I've never seen one like that. Hope your vacation is wonderful!!

Candyce said...

Your azelias are just beautiful. I didn't realize there was a variety that bloomed more than once.

I hope you have a lovely weekend!