Monday, July 14, 2008

Farmer's Market

Saturday morning I headed out early to the Community Market, hoping for tomatoes most of all, but also any fresh vegetqables. Although this was my first trip this year, I've gone lots of times before and never saw a crowd to match the one Saturday. It was crazy! It was almost impossible to get to a booth and one booth had a line just to get up close. I did manage to get tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, and best of all fresh corn - is there anything better? That night we had turkey breast and all these veggies, plus wheat rolls and it was sooo good!

Next year I'm going to have a garden, even if it is just a small one. When we lived in Kentucky we had a small garden and it was great. When we moved to Virginia and bought this house we tried tomatoes several times, but never had much luck. There is very little topsoil here and mostly clay soil. The flower beds which we've amended do pretty well, but it takes lots of additives! Next year I'm determined we are going to try again.

I forgot my camera Saturday morning and took pictures with my camera phone, but don't have any idea how to get them off! Going to look for help.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Mom goes just about every Saturday to the Community Market. I wish we had one like you all go to. Ours isn't much. Just 2-3 vendors at the most whenever I've been.